Mark Webber wins in Hungary and moves into the lead in the battle for the F1 2010 drivers' title.
Red Bull Racing's Mark Webber comes through to win the Hungarian Grand Prix today, a result that puts him top in the F1 2010 drivers' championship ahead of the summer break.
Webber, who qualified second behind his team-mate, Sebastian Vettel, dropped to third at the start when he lost out to Fernando Alonso. However while all of his main rivals stopped early on when the safety car was deployed for debris on the track, Webber stayed out. The Aussie then put in a massive charge which allowed him to build up a cushion and then still pit and re-join in the lead.
Fernando Alonso claimed second for Ferrari, just ahead of early leader, Vettel. Vettel lost out to the Spaniard after he got a drive-through penalty for exceeding ten car lengths behind the safety car.
Felipe Massa was a distant fourth in the second Ferrari, followed by Renault man Vitaly Petrov, Williams' Nico Hulkenberg and Sauber's Pedro de la Rosa, the latter finally opening his account for the season.
McLaren's Jenson Button claimed four points for eighth, with Kamui Kobayashi ninth – despite starting on the back-row of the grid.
Rubens Barrichello took P10 and the final point, passing Michael Schumacher near the end on the start-finish straight, although the German didn't make it easy, and almost put him in the wall. The stewards had said they will investigate the matter.
In terms of retirements, former championship leader Lewis Hamilton was the biggest casualty, forced out around a third of the way into the race with unconfirmed gearbox problems. Robert Kubica and Adrian Sutil also failed to go the distance, after crashing in the pits, while Nico Rosberg retired after losing one of his rear wheels. Jaime Alguersuari did not complete more than a couple of laps after his engine expired.
1. Mark Webber Australia Red Bull-Renault 70 laps 1hr 41m 05.571s
2. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari-Ferrari +00m 17.8s
3. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault +00m 19.2s
4. Felipe Massa Brazil Ferrari-Ferrari +00m 27.4s
5. Vitaly Petrov Russia Renault-Renault +01m 13.1s
6. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Williams-Cosworth +01m 16.7s
7. Pedro de la Rosa Spain BMW Sauber-Ferrari +1 lap
8. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes +1 lap
9. Kamui Kobayashi Japan BMW Sauber-Ferrari +1 lap
10. Rubens Barrichello Brazil Williams-Cosworth +1 lap
11. Michael Schumacher Germany Mercedes-Mercedes +1 lap
12. Sebastien Buemi Switzerland Toro Rosso-Ferrari +1 lap
13. Vitantonio Liuzzi Italy Force India-Mercedes +1 lap
14. Heikki Kovalainen Finland Lotus-Cosworth +3 laps
15. Jarno Trulli Italy Lotus-Cosworth +3 laps
16. Timo Glock Germany Virgin-Cosworth +3 laps
17. Bruno Senna Brazil HRT-Cosworth +3 laps
18. Lucas di Grassi Brazil Virgin-Cosworth +4 laps
19. Sakon Yamamoto Japan HRT-Cosworth +4 laps
Rtd. Lewis Hamilton Britain McLaren-Mercedes 24 laps completed (gearbox)
Rtd. Robert Kubica Poland Renault-Renault 24 laps completed
Rtd. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 17 laps completed (lost wheel)
Rtd. Adrian Sutil Germany Force India-Mercedes 17 laps completed (accident)
Rtd. Jaime Alguersuari Spain Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1 lap completed (engine)