Saturday, April 17, 2010

Vettel takes pole position in Shanghai


We're proving that we have a very good car indeed, says Vettel.

Sebastian Vettel claims his third pole position of the year - and Red Bull's fourth in a row in China as the Milton-Keynes-based outfit locks-out the front row of the grid.

Red Bull Racing's Sebastian Vettel produced a 'phenomenal' lap to secure pole for the Chinese Grand Prix today and after struggling in practice he was delighted to get the better of his team-mate, Mark Webber.

Vettel took the top spot in the end by some margin, posting a 1 minute 34.558 second lap, which was 0.248 seconds up on the sister car. It was another great result for the German, who won last time out in Malaysia and who has started from pole in three of the four first races.

Speaking after he paid tribute to his mechanics who had worked flat-out between final practice and qualifying to adjust the set-up on his Renault-powered RB6 to try and make it more to his liking.

"It was tough today. I was not happy yesterday and this morning, as Mark was quite a bit quicker than me," Vettel conceded. "We made some changes to the car in Mark's direction [after FP3], but it was still extremely difficult.

"I was struggling in the first sector, but then I got a purple (fastest) time in sector one on my last lap, so I think we made a good step forward! I found a better line that worked, remembering things from last year.

"I lost my way a little bit in free practice this morning, but I had two very good runs in Q3. I think the first would have already been a good time, but I was too wide in the last corner. The second run was better – it was a fantastic lap.

"We got a fourth consecutive pole position for Red Bull now. We're proving that we have a very good car, no matter what the circuit. I'm very pleased with today. Thanks to the mechanics, as they had zero lunch due to all the changes that were required between free practice and qualifying."

Red Bull Racing team boss, Christian Horner meanwhile was delighted to see his two drivers lock-out the front-row, something they had also managed to do in Australia.

He also took the opportunity on the team radio to send a message to RBR's rivals - who had previously maintained the outfit had some sort of special suspension system - by declaring: "Who needs ride height-control?"

"I have no idea where Sebastian produced that last lap from, it was quite phenomenal," Horner added. "Mark was in great shape throughout qualifying today too and got pipped right at the end there. So, both cars at the front of the grid again for another Red Bull Racing one two. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's race."